5/14/11

Close Enough?

So after spending the last few days thinking about it, I've come to the conclusion that I kind of prefer playing backed...even when I'm sufficiently rolled to play on my own dime.

It's strange and I sort of feel silly about it but I realize now that I've grown accustomed to some of the perks that come with playing backed. Yes, there is that ever-important hourly hit but, with a good backer (or group of backers), there is also the freedom of never having to worry about downswings, bad beats, or money in general. Not only that, but I also find that I miss the comradery that comes with being part of a stable (a group of players all staked by the same person/people). It's nice to be able to vent your frustrations and enjoy your upswings with people who understand and appreciate what you're going through. I think for someone like myself who plays this game for a living and doesn't live in a poker house (I can only imagine my wife's reaction if she walked into a house with 5 of me bumming around), the days can start to feel pretty monotonous and repetitive. Being part of a good stable also helps to keep you interacting with your peers; which I believe is a key element to continually improving your game. I mean, there's a reason most of the high-stakes guys travel in packs, right?

So, for all those reasons (not to mention the joy of never having to have your life funds tied up), I've decided to look for backing once again through 2+2 and/or Parttimepoker. 

As far as my 25nl-200nl challenge goes, my bankroll has now grown from $500 to just under $3000 meaning I am halfway to moving past 100nl entirely and am already adequately rolled for a mix of 100-200nl. About $1500 of my profits have come from direct game-play and the rest was from rakeback + bonuses. I may end up finishing this challenge before I sign on with a new backer but if a good opportunity comes along in the meantime, I may just declare this a moral victory and begin a new volume and/or profit challenge. Besides, spending more than a month on a single task is just too hard on my A.D.D.

Challenge Update:

And overall graph since moving to cash games:


Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment